The Future (Death?) of Progressive Constitutionalism

RJLipkin at aol.com RJLipkin at aol.com
Sat Jan 14 04:08:47 PST 2006

It seems clear that the Supreme Court,  as a vehicle for progressive
constitutionalism, has been and will continue to be  a dead-end for at least the next
decade.  Should President Bush have an  opportunity to replace Justices
Stevens or Ginsburg change "decade" to  decades. In that case, the Roberts' Court
might become  (virtually) the most activistic Court imaginable.

        How should progressive  constitutionalists respond to this
possibility (or actuality)? I don't ask this  question as an advocate of progressive
constitutionalism--whatever that means in  our present constitutional
culture--but rather I'm interested in the  implications of a particular constitutional
philosophy being closed  out of the courts for the next quarter century.  I
regard the  answer--transformative appointments--to be a nonstarter because of its
 unpredictability, time, and its distortion of politics in a republican
democracy. Of course, we can't be absolutely certain what sorts of Justices
Roberts and Alito will become. But I ask these questions assuming the  worst--from
a progressive constitutionalist perspective--at least for argument  sake.

        So, suppose the President  gets the opportunity to appoint one or two
more Scalias or Thomases, what will  that mean for American
constitutionalism? And for those who decry this  eventuality, what remedies are or should be
available?

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law