The First Amendment during this war

Timothy Zick zickt at stjohns.edu
Mon Jan 9 09:51:55 PST 2006

I'm afraid much of the information on this is anecdotal, but there were
allegations (and some lawsuits as I recall) in which the Secret
Service's policies on crowd control were challenged.  For instance, a
person with a sign that said something unflattering to the President was
removed from the area the President was to occupy, while others with
supportive signs were allegedly permitted to remain in the area.
Someone with an unflattering t-shirt was also alleged to have been told
by the Secret Service that he could not stand near the President's
motorcade.  Now, I suppose the Secret Service would maintain that this
person, and others like him, posed a "security concern."  Finding out
what that concern actually is would be most difficult, if not
impossible.  And a judge is, of course, not likely to second-guess the
Service with regard to such matters.  I also seem to recall reports that
at a campaign event in Pennsylvania, demonstrators were confined, again
by law enforcement personnel allegedly including the Secret Service, to
a "speech zone" some distance from the campaign event.  If the
authorities decided who was to go in the zone, and who could remain near
the event and cheer the candidate on, then I would think serious
content/viewpoint concerns would arise.

Tim Zick
Associate Professor of Law
St. John's University School of Law