Fwd: Re: So Much for the President's Assent to the McCain Amendment

Howard Schweber schweber at polisci.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 3 10:05:32 PST 2006

>At 10:36 PM 1/2/2006 -0800, Bob Sheridan wrote:
>>A change in system that forced constitutional issues to the front burner
>>prematurely may not do more than to make it more difficult for government
>>to function.
>
>This is a classic concern, of course, and it is one that was been directly
>addressed by the Rehnquist Court  in the context of its nondelegation
>rulings.  A little while ago Bobby Lipkin suggested that Bush's signing
>statement is a "back door line item veto."  In response, Marty Ledermar
>proposed that the distinction between this signing statement and a line
>item veto is that the law remains on the books and can be enforced by a
>future executive, and appeals to the discretion of the executive to choose
>when to enforce the law.  Most of the discussion since then has been on
>the second point, and I think the conclusion is that the issue turns on
>whether the McCain Amendment constitutes a St. Cyr/Castle Rock "clear
>statement" that in *this* case Congress really did intend that the
>President would enforce the law.  Even without that clear statement, of
>course, executive discretion has its limits as in the impoundment cases.

But I want to return to the former question. I have raised this issue
before, and at the risk of appearing foolish (but in the hope of becoming
educated!) I will raise it again:  from a purely legal, doctrinal,
how-the-Roberts-Court-might-rule perspective, why aren't nondelegation and
the separation of powers principles that were developed in the
nondelegation cases -- Morrison and Clinton -- central to the analysis of
the issues under discussion just as much as the question of the limits on
the Executive's authority to decline to enforce a law?