Engel v. Vitale recusals?

John Barrett barrettj at stjohns.edu
Mon Apr 3 11:24:32 PDT 2006

Except for Brown II, where the Court was on a unanimous course but after
Jackson's death in 10/54 had only 8 members. When it became clear in
11/54 that Harlan would not be confirmed promptly, the Court cancelled
the oral arguments that were scheduled for the next month.  After he was
confirmed in 3/55, the Court put the cases back on for a week of
argument in 4/55.

Are there other instances of a non-divided Court postponing argument
until the Court again was at full membership?

John Q. Barrett

St. John's

homepage
<http://new.stjohns.edu/academics/graduate/law/faculty/profiles/Barrett>