Brown, Rehnquist and Contemporary Politics

Earl Maltz emaltz at camden.rutgers.edu
Sun Sep 11 08:04:10 PDT 2005

The question is not whether it was an issue, but whether we could
reasonably expect Roberts to have actively participated in the struggle.  I
suppose that it might be relevant if Roberts had said "I think segregation
was right," (or had sung Dixie in the Harvard Law School dining hall or
marched around the Hillel Foundation in a storm trooper outfit as a joke)
but I doubt very seriously that anyone will even allege that any such event
occurred.