Dershowitz on Rehnquist

Paul Finkelman paul-finkelman at utulsa.edu
Sun Sep 11 08:04:13 PDT 2005

My understand, and recollection from the hearings when he became CJ is
that the restriction was in his deed and that he said it he did not want
to go to the expense of having a new deed drawn up, since the provision
was unenforceable.  This was a plausible argument from a narrow economic
position, why spend a few hundred bucks on a new deed; but as a Supreme
Court Justice we could perhaps assume  1) he could afford it; 2) he
could do it himself or have a clerk do all the paper work; 3) probably
any attorney in town (especailly an acitve Republican) would have done
it pro bono for a Justice.  The issue is that he did not see anything
improper about it and had no sense of hte propriety of  it. Just like
leading people in singing Dixie or another time, when he appeared in an
Indian headress  saying he was the "Chief" of the Supreme Court.  This
kind of behavior, cumulative over time, sends a terrible message to all
Americans; if in fact he also told racist jokes and goosestepped in
college, then again, its tells us somethnig about the nab,  His record
on civil rights, on the rights of prisoners, on the rights of people on
death row, all fit with the notion that he was a justice who had little
concern about the poorest, least fortunate, minorities and others who
have traditionally been on the margins of society.  Other conservatives
on the Court -- both Harlan, Stewart Burger, Blackmun,  Powell, Warren
(who was a moderate republican in his career and conservative on many
issues) -- were far more sensitive to the need to be a justice for all
the people.  It is hard to imagine any of them openly singing Dixie
after it beame the theme song of massive resistance.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law