Same-Sex Marriage: Who Decides -- Calif. voters have, by initiati ve

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 7 10:11:01 PDT 2005

	I took a quick look at what seems like the Mar. 4-7, 2004 ABC
News/Washington Post survey -- see
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/vault/stories/data03
0804.htm -- and the question it seemed to ask was whether there should
be a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, not whether
same-sex marriage should be legal.

	Unfortunately, the page doesn't break things down by age, so I
can't be positive that this is the right survey.  Am I missing something
here?

	The most recent poll that I could quickly find that gives the
question text and breaks down the split, a MSNBC/Newsweek Jan. 2-18,
2004 poll that asked "Should same-sex marriages be legal, or not?" of
"National registered voters age 18-29" gave results of 50-47 in favor,
but with a 5% margin of error (since there were 350 participants).  See
NEWS;RPOLL in LEXIS.

	I tentatively support legalization of same-sex marriage; but I
don't think there's reason for a premature sense of triumph on the
subject -- the matter is still quite controversial, seemingly among
18-to-29-year-olds as well as among older voters, though I'm obviously
quite ready to be persuaded otherwise if there's solid polling data to
the contrary.