Chief Justice John Roberts?

Elizabeth Dale edale1 at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 5 14:06:46 PDT 2005

I find it interesting that late last week we had posts debating whether
"callous incompetence" was an impeachable offense, and this week we are
assuming that of course the business of appointing replacement justices will
proceed along predictable political grounds (will Bush play to his base?
will Bush, having appointed one conservative white male, appoint a minority
or a "moderate conservative"? etc)

I'm curious (genuinely curious,to borrow a phase from Sandy): Does this
reflect the conclusion, reached by members of the list over the weekend,
that things really aren't so bad in the Gulf Coast? Or the conclusion that
they are bad, but it's not the President's fault? Or the conclusion that
things are bad, it's the President's fault, but there is nothing that can be
done about that constitutionally and so it should have no impact on the
nomination process to replace O'Connor and Rehnquist?

Or does it reflect the assumption that the Supreme Court is so important
that, regardless of how the other issues play out, it is vital that two
justices be appointed and confirmed quickly?  Or something else?

Perhaps I am overly sensitive to hurricane related issues, but I am a bit
puzzled by the fact that people are willing to entertain the idea that
Roberts's new and improved nomination might lead to a different kind of
scrutiny at the Senate hearing, but no one seems to have suggested that the
travails of the past week might have altered the appointment equation
significantly. Why is that?

Elizabeth Dale

Associate Professor, US Legal History, Department of History,
Affiliate Professor of Legal History, Levin College of Law

University of Florida
PO Box 17320
Gainesville, Florida 32611

edale at history.ufl.edu