The presumption of innocence

Lynne Henderson hendersl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 29 17:19:20 PDT 2005

 From the criminal law side, and from practice and reading studies of
juries, "the presumption of innocence" is honored more in the breach in
lay people's minds.  Indeed, many DAs in high profile cases, when
interviewed on television, don't even mention it. There is no duty to
mention it when interviewed.   When potential jurors undergo voir dire,
they are told about the presumption but tend to think that if the
accused is in the dock, he or she must be guilty. The DA will  pay it
lip service and the defense tries to emphasize it if they can conduct
their own voir dire.  If the judge does it, there's even less emphasis
on it. It is, of course, even worse with a "death qualified"  jury.
IMHO, Fitzgerald was extremely diplomatic and emphasized the
presumption to a) deflect questions about subtance and b) deflect
accusations of bias.  He did a terrific job.  Balanced, clear, honored
secrecy, respectful.
Lynne

Prof. Lynne Henderson