Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act

Marty Lederman marty.lederman at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 08:43:28 PDT 2005

No.  Even if one accepts that the Court should or will apply a serious "substantially affects commerce" test in certain circumstances (and I, for one, don't agree that it should), that test is unnecessary -- inapposite -- where there's a jurisdictional element, because such an element ensures an affect on IC in every case, which is all the Constitution requires.  Or so I (and a couple of courts of appeals) have argued, in any event.  From my Cutter amicus brief:

The "affect[ing] interstate commerce" element limits the statute's coverage to a "'discrete set of [acts] that . . . have an explicit connection with or effect on interstate commerce.'" Morrison, 529 U.S. at 611-612 (quoting Lopez, 514 U.S. at 562). Absent the jurisdictional element, there would be a risk that "a few random instances of interstate effects could be used to justify regulation of a multitude of intrastate transactions with no interstate effects." United States v. Harrington, 108 F.3d 1460, 1467 (D.C. Cir. 1997). But with the requirement of proof of an effect on interstate commerce in every case, there is no such concern: "each case stands alone on its evidence that a concrete and specific effect does exist," id., and the inclusion of the element "addresses the Lopez Court's constitutional concern that congressional authority under the Commerce Clause not become a 'general police power of the sort retained by the States,'" United States v. Capozzi, 347 F.3d 327, 336 (1st Cir. 2003) (quoting Lopez, 514 U.S. at 567), cert. denied, 124 S. Ct. 1187 (2004).

Alternatively, one can argue that even if "substantial effects" in the aggregate are required, the jurisdictional element ensures such substantial effects because the (nontrivial) effects in each case will be aggregated together to create a "substantial" whole.  (I believe this argument appears in a Posner opinion somewhere, perhaps involving the Hobbs Act.)  Such an argument probably depends, of course, on how many individual cases the statute covers, and how one discerns "substantiality."

So, yes, the "affecting commerce" element is a "magic bullet" against facial Commerce Clause review.  (That's why virtually no one challenges the facial validity of the Hobbs Act, RICO, etc., on Commerce Clause grounds.)  But proof of a "concrete" and "explicit" effect is still required in each case, which can lead to the sorts of "as applied" challenges that have been raised against, e.g., Hobbs Act prosecutions for robberies of individuals.  See my Cutter brief at 24-25 & n.22 (citing Wilkerson, 361 F.3d at 726-732, which describes how courts have carefully considered such questions under the Hobbs Act).