[BULK] - RE: DeShaney and Schiavo

Barksdale, Yvette 7barksda at jmls.edu
Thu Oct 6 12:16:45 PDT 2005

Hi Michael:

Are you sure that the 11th Circuit clearly understood  that Judge Greer's role in the Florida statutory scheme (that is, as actually making the factual finidng that Terri Schiavo would have wanted to remove the tube)?  I looked at the two 11th circuit court opinions on the state action issue, and  they appeared to analyze only whether Judge Greer's 2005 order requiring removal of the tube would turn what otherwise was a private decision into state action, merely because the private decision was enforced by a judge. (As in, would a private tort become state action merely because it was enforced in Court by a state judge  - no.)

For example, most of the 11th Circuit's state action discussion addressed whether Michael was a state actor simply because he used the Courts to adjudicate the dispute. (No, said the Courts).   The explicit discussion of whether Judge Greer was a state actor was brief and in a footnote, See, 403 F.3d 1289, 1293, fn2 (11th Cir. 2005). There the 11th Circuit did conclude that  Greer wasn't a state actor just because he was a judge hearing the suit between private parties, citing the Pasey case you refer to See Paisey v. Vitale, 807 F.2d 889, 893-94 (11th Cir.1986) <http://web2.westlaw.com/find/default.wl?DB=350&SerialNum=1986163568&FindType=Y&ReferencePositionType=S&ReferencePosition=893&AP=&mt=LawSchool&fn=_top&sv=Split&utid=%7b96B472BE-7BC6-45BF-B08F-B274700912EF%7d&vr=2.0&rs=WLW5.09> .

However, Judge Greer's role here was considerably more substantial than that of the judge in Paisey. The Paisey case involved a claim that a state judge was a state actor under Title VI because she refused to dismiss a private lawsuit the federal civil rights office had found retaliatory. There the Court held essentially, that the judge does not become  a state actor subject to federal civil rights laws merely because she hears lawsuits brought by private parties.  (Paisey also distinguished Shelley on the ground that the judge had simply agreed to hear the retaliatory lawsuit, and had not yet rendered a decision.)

In contrast, under Florida law - Judge Greer, in his initial role as a surrogate decisionmaker for Michael Schiavo, was more than simply a neutral arbiter of private claims. Instead, Greer, under the statute, was the actual decisionmaker as to what Terri Schiavo's treatment would be under the statute.  Here, Greer was more than an adjudicator - Greer exercised the rights that otherwise would have been the husband's under the statute.

Do you know if the 11th Circuit heard argument on this precise issue (what was the role of the Florida judge, acting essentially as surrogate decisionmaker, under the Florida statutory scheme) - or did it simply assume that the judge's role was the more traditional one of adjudicating a private dispute?

yb