Constitutional right to bring property into a territory?

Marty Lederman marty.lederman at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 15:26:49 PDT 2005

It just so happens that I'm currently teaching Dred Scott in my ConLaw class, and this was one thing (apart from the obvious candidates) that really struck me as counterintuitive.  (Please excuse my ignorance if the answer to this is obvious.)

Putting aside the question of whether the question is properly viewed as one of "due process," and the question of treating slaves as the equivalent of ordinary property (and the question of Congress's power under Article IV to make needful rules . . . etc.), how is it that Taney, McLean and Lincoln all agree that there is some constitutional (or other) "right" to bring property from one jurisdiction, where it is lawful, into another, where it is not?  The scenario is, of course, common:  Jurisdiction A permits the possession of X (e.g., drugs, liquor, diseased livestock, etc.); Jurisdiction B does not.  There's a constitutional right for a property holder of X residing in State A to possess it -- indeed, to make public use of it -- in State B?  From the 21st Century perspective, this sounds very, very weird.  Forget the Due Process Clause -- why would there be any sort of common-law, statutory or constitutional right to bring contraband into Jurisdiction B just because it was not unlawful in the possessor's home state?  But hey, Lincoln and McLean agreed . . . so perhaps I'm missing some obvious historical understanding that has long since faded from view.  As Mark notes, it was a "completely different universe."   (Did it have something to do with the special status of territories, as opposed to states?)

Thanks in advance for any clarification.