our imperfect constitution

James G. Wilson james.wilson at law.csuohio.edu
Tue Nov 29 07:31:35 PST 2005

       Don't forget outcomes.   Many people do not want to emulate a
country that treats its poor and workers with contempt by refusing to
provide basic health care and a living wage; that does little to protect
its industrial base; that has by far the largest military budget in the
world; that is constantly at war; that has one of the greatest
disparities in wealth and income in the developed world; that has the
largest prison system in the free world; that taxes the wealthy at the
same overall rate as the working poor; that spends over one hundred
million dollars on a lousy gubernatorial campaign in which nothing of
content was said; that permits massive amounts of free pornography in
every household; that has a declining educational system for all but the
affluent; that fails to provide basic preschool support to the poor;
that has a popular culture which constanty reaches ever lower lows; that

     Of course, it is hard to know how much our complex written
Constitution has to do with these developments (although there is no
doubt that one of Madison's goals was to protect that discrete and
insular minority known as the wealthy).   Nor is it clear that the
inclusion of "positive rights" can make that much difference: can and
should unelected judges determine, as a matter of constitutional law,
who should get expensive heart transplants?

      There is no easy out for those of us who are outraged by the
existing political culture.  Just as we don' t know how much our written
Constitution, as interpreted by its guardians, has harmed our society,
nor can we be sure of its past and continuing benefits.   Powerful,
conservative interests might well seize control of any effort to
transform that document.  The Burkean conservative in me---which lives
uneasily with the angry New Dealer who feels this country is in rapid
decline--is fearful that my abstract reasoning and my passionately held
political beliefs may be more harm that good if I disrupt this basic
part of our system.

      So, the solution may well be to go back into the political arena
and fight for workers' rights there.  The Democrats need to reject their
wealthy patrons and upper middle-class intellectuals who have been far
more concerned with social issues than with bread and butter issues.  It
has succeeded before: it can succeed again.