More on fixed term presidencies (this just in from France)

Laurence Claus lclaus at sandiego.edu
Wed Nov 9 15:09:30 PST 2005

If a president were mentally compromised in a way that made his cabinet
feel less secure (e.g. if the president made wild threats to fire them all,
or to initiate a potentially cataclysmic policy, like nuclear first
strike), then I think the 25th amendment procedure would probably be
invoked. But if presidential health problems actually make key cabinet
members feel more secure (and more influential), then they’ll likely see
little reason to disturb the status quo.

Laurence Claus
University of San Diego School of Law