Working right?

Malla Pollack mpollack at uidaho.edu
Tue Nov 8 14:32:16 PST 2005

I used to be a supervisor at an over night  photofinishing plant (when such
things existed).  Often some piece of machinery would work well if the
people using it had the time and patience to be extraordinarily finicky
about handling it.  I never wanted to buy or keep such finicky machines -
the plant had to operate with the people available in the job pool working
under the time pressure inherent in the job.  I said then, and I say now,
that a piece of machinery is not "working" properly (often some design flaw)
if it cannot be used by the people who need to use it.  So I strongly
disagree with Jim's prioritizing some outside standard over his daughter's
comfort with the standard transmission car. (No insult intended Jim.)   In
other words, the citizens' well fare and comfort is the test of the
Constitution and government - not vice versa.

Malla Pollack

Professor, American Justice School of Law

Visiting Univ. of Idaho, College of Law

mpollack at uidaho.edu

208-885-2017