Our perfect constiitution? What should we be teaching our students?

Sanford Levinson SLevinson at law.utexas.edu
Sun Nov 6 14:17:44 PST 2005

Quite literally the last thing I'd suggest is that we import any institutions from other systems without looking at empirical information about consequences, both there and, to the extent we could make informed predictions, here.  Rather, it seems valuable to me to look around at other systems and ask why they are significantly different from ours in important respect (e.g., no life tenure in the really strong sense that exists here) and whether it seems to matter.  Frank may turn out to be right--he is yet another person on the list (and at my own institution) whose postings I always learn from--but I don't see how it would hurt to makek the comparative inquiry.  Now one possibility is that we will end up saying (something like), "You know, formal constitutions aren't all that important anyway, it's really a matter of political culture, ethnic hostility, etc., etc."  This is very close to what a lot of political scientists were arguing when I was in graduate school in the 1960s.  But I take it that one thing about which the "new institutionalists" and rational choice devotees alike agree is that structures can in fact matter, that different structures will generate different incentives (or disincentives) which on occasion can really be important.

Three is also the problem of extrapolation.  Maybe it's true, empirically, that our Constitution has worked reasonably well once slavery (and another 100 years of segregation?) were gotten out of the way.  But, as they say in the mutual fund biz, past performance may not be predictive of future performance.  I would argue that the constitutional structure--e.g., the truly lunatic hiatus between Hoover's repudiation in November 1932 and the March 4 inauguration of Roosevelt--, retarded achieving any cogent policy during those crucial months with regard to responding to the greatest economic catastrophe in American history.  I believe that our present November-Jan. 20 hiatus is just as lunatic in the speeded-up world in which we live.  Carter should not have stayed in office another 10 weeks following his defeat, ditto for George H. W. Bush (who irresponsibly got us into Somalia with an insufficient number of troops), ditto, for that matter, with Bill Clinton in 2000 (had Bush won in November).  And there are other time-bombs ticking away, including the lunatic method of breaking electoral college deadlocks and the practical inability to replace dead representatives or disabled senators following a catastrophic attack on Washington.  And, incidentally, I don't tink that any of these particular examples have a political tilt.  I would hope that every American can realize that there is something amiss about these aspects of the Constitution and would wish that political elites might respond to them.

sandy