I know I'm a nuisance

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Sat Nov 5 10:38:57 PST 2005

There is a way.  When the incompetence includes mendacity on key issues
such as reasons for war, that means is called 'oversight' (and in rare
cases, ultimately, impeachment).  The problem is not the absence of a
device in the system, but system's vulnerability to the iron grip of
"faction" which has prevented the development of either sufficient
evidence to persuade the trusting, or sufficient exoneration to persuade
the suspicious.

I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but having watched
the UK's Parliamentary system up close during several years of residence
there, I cannot say that it would be better.  Worse probably, at best bad
in different ways.

The recent discipline of the GOP in the House is a long-standing feature
of British political life.  It has to be, since the system is optimized
for not losing, not even risking losing, votes of no confidence.  Through
a combination of the greatly expanded 'payroll vote' (MPs with
appointments in the executive) and whipping (iron career-ending discipline
if you don't vote right on anything bigger than the time of the annual
flower show), MPs have no discretion, carry on extraordinarily minimal
oversight, and generally are rubber stamps.  And it's the house of lords,
the UNdemocratic part of Parliament, that actually act as a limited check
on legislation.

Recall how long Thatcher held on even when it was clear she had lost the
mandate of heaven (and even MPs were calling her 'barmny')....

--
http://www.icannwatch.org   Personal Blog: http://www.discourse.net
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm
                        -->It's warm here.<--