Constitutional Attitudes

Bob Sheridan bobsheridan at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 3 23:00:09 PST 2005

A few weeks ago I posted a poem on subjects of conlaw that I'd pulled
off the web. I didn't make clear that I didn't support the sentiments
and thus collected a load of flak along with an invitation to post to a
site noted for a number of fairly-to-the-right contributors, some really
disgruntled campers, and a few philosopers of conlaw who really seem to
meet the definition of "outside-the-mainstream;" far outside, I would
say. The fact of posting suggested support to some, since I didn't post
a disclaimer in opposition. I simply thought it would be of interest to
share what I assume are things lay (I assume) people sometimes write
about. I had no interest in nudging your judgment by intruding with my
own, for whatever it would be worth, which I suspect is little
considering the value we tend to place on forming our own individual
judgments; plus I have no claim or desire to promote judgments of my own
here, altho' sometimes I may let go with a rant because I think it needs
doing. I was honored at the call to be condemned and gratified that I
wasn't, really.

Along the same line of quoting w/o endorsing, the following credo was
written by a friend, Harry, who contributes to a home-town site. Harry
is a retired gov't employee who worked as a technician all over the
world for one of the quiet services. We discuss events of the day on the
site, along with a miscellany of other things. Harry posted this without
attribution, so I asked who composed it. He did. I asked if it was okay
for me to re-post it. He agreed. I admired the fact that someone, an
ordinary citizen, would compose a credo and post it. Harry is not a
lawyer or a writer, just a hometown guy who pays attention to the goings
on around him. I post it for its potential interest as a document
reflecting an individualized attitude of a thoughtful decent person.
There are things here, which I won't identify, that I would take issue
with, but that's not the point of the posting, so kindly hold fire and
invite me not to join other lists, thank you"

Quoting:

"I have never voted "Party Line" in my life. I've always voted the
person based upon what I'd read, heard, felt and believed. I’ve never
dumped on Republicans because they were Republicans and I have never
supported Democrats because they were Democrats. I try to support the
best American for America.

I believe there is a God.
I believe you have a right to your beliefs.
I believe God guided the evolution of the Universe, the Earth and all
things living here.
I believe that God gave us a brain so that we could use it to make
decisions.
I believe that a women's body is hers and she should have freedom of choice.
I believe that homosexuals are also Gods creations and should have the
same rights and privileges as do heterosexuals.
I believe that there are many ways to worship God.
I believe that God wants us to care for our planet Earth and our fellow
inhabitants."

Harry

***

rs