Scalito Not a Homophobe

Rick Duncan nebraskalawprof at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 08:24:20 PST 2005

Hmmm. We all did lots of foolish things when we were undergraduates.

Of course, there is also a huge difference between being politically opposed to sodomy laws (as even Justice Thomas says he is), and ruling that the 14th Amendment somehow codifies the Kama Sutra.

Rick Duncan

dpinello at jjay.cuny.edu wrote:
Despite being dubbed Scalito by some, Alito appears not to have the
antigay animus that such moniker would suggest. From today's New York
Times:

"The Boston Globe reported Wednesday that as a student at Princeton,
the judge had written a paper arguing that prohibitions against sodomy
should be overturned and 'discrimination against homosexuals in hiring
should be forbidden.'"

Are those my wedding bells that I hear from the future?

Dan Pinello
To post, send message to Conlawprof at lists.ucla.edu

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow either Galahad or Mordred: middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis, Grand Miracle

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered."  --The Prisoner