Conservative Court?

RJLipkin at aol.com RJLipkin at aol.com
Wed Nov 2 04:12:21 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/1/2005 10:24:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
doughr at udallas.edu writes:

we might  ask what would consitute a liberal court, and then we would have a
baseline  from which to begin analysis.

This strikes me as  correct. But before answering the question of what counts
as a liberal Court by  identifying "liberal" decisions or "liberal" Justices.
We might seek a  theoerteical conception of what the terms "liberal" and
"conservative" means (or  should be understood to mean) in political philosophy.

        In my view, that seems a  more direct approach than various empirical
inquiries ( and a necessary prior  approach to the empirical questions)
though I'm fully aware that my opinion in  this matter is typically a minority one.

Bobby

Robert Justin  Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of  Law