Althouse on Alito

Stephen L. Wasby wasb at albany.edu
Tue Nov 1 17:12:31 PST 2005

I agree with Bobby's implicit comment that Sandy overstated. In the middle of the Court at that time, Potter Stewart and White were the perceived "middle" -- but they were hardly identical: White was more liberal (of the two) on race, and more conservative on criminal procedure, while Stewart
was the "flip" -- more liberal on criminal procedure, more conservative on race (although his separate concurrence in Milliken v. Bradley properly argued that the Court should look at the relationship between housing and school desegregation).
    Steve Wasby