Alito, libertarianism, and conservatism

Mark Tushnet tushnet at law.georgetown.edu
Tue Nov 1 06:32:32 PST 2005

I think I may have mentioned this before, but in my judgment the
best piece laying out the analytic structure for addressing David
Bernstein's question is by Wojciech Sadurski, in the Oxford
Journal of Legal Studies in 2000 or 2001.  He takes David's initial
question -- you personally have a criterion for what good
outcomes are -- and lays out what you have to think about when
you're trying to assess an institution (a court) that addresses not
only the issue you care most about, but also issues you care
about, but less deeply.  My students have usually found the article
quite useful and accessible.