Reading the "Public Use" clause

Scott Gerber s-gerber at onu.edu
Fri Jun 24 17:55:07 PDT 2005

Bobby is correct, in my judgment, to suggest that classical liberalism
and classical libertarianism aren't the same.  Indeed, I've often
disagreed with the "conservative" legal establishment (e.g., Center for
Individual Rights) for precisely that reason.  In my view, the Founders
established a classical liberal regime (i.e., Lockean [sorry, Bobby!]),
not classical libertarian one.  I proposed to Roger Pilon a few weeks
ago that Cato host a symposium on the issue.
Scott

RJLipkin at aol.com wrote:

>Scott's post raises the  interesting issue of whether classical
liberalism
>and classical libertarianism  constitute the same political philosophy.
 I doubt
>it. Classical liberalism  was responding to different political and
economic
>problems than  libertarianism.  Further, Locke's epistemology and
political
>philosophy  contains too many discordant themes to rest libertarianism
in his
>work. (Sorry,  I'm not a big fan of Locke as a coherent philosopher
either in
>his epistemology  or in much of his political philosophy.) Of course,
this
>raises the question of  just what is libertarianism and who are its
>best--philosophical--proponents. In  my understanding, libertarianism
is essentially a
>political philosophical theory with economic instantiations. I can say
little about
>the  latter, but as derivations from libertarianism's philosophical
base, they
> should, in my, view conform to what the philosophical theory implies.
But