Reading the "Public Use" clause

RJLipkin at aol.com RJLipkin at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 17:09:33 PDT 2005

Scott's post raises the  interesting issue of whether classical liberalism
and classical libertarianism  constitute the same political philosophy.  I doubt
it. Classical liberalism  was responding to different political and economic
problems than  libertarianism.  Further, Locke's epistemology and political
philosophy  contains too many discordant themes to rest libertarianism in his
work. (Sorry,  I'm not a big fan of Locke as a coherent philosopher either in
his epistemology  or in much of his political philosophy.) Of course, this
raises the question of  just what is libertarianism and who are its
best--philosophical--proponents. In  my understanding, libertarianism is essentially a
political philosophical theory with economic instantiations. I can say little about
the  latter, but as derivations from libertarianism's philosophical base, they
 should, in my, view conform to what the philosophical theory implies.  But
perhaps this discussion is moving this thread in an undesirable direction.

Bobby

Robert Justin  Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of  Law