Reading the "Public Use" clause

Ilya Somin isomin at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 24 16:45:26 PDT 2005

Well, in that case, F.A. Hayek and Milton Friedman are not real
libertarians. Recall that Friedman actually invented the idea of the
negative income tax, a form of guaranteed income for the poor.  Hayek and
Friedman were, of course, the most influential libertarian thinkers of the
20th century. I would bet that most libertarians in the legal academy take
similar views, though I have not done any kind of scientific poll.

I concede the point about Rand, Brandon, Hospers, and Nozick. However,
Branden and Hospers are very minor thinkers at best,and Branden is not
even a political philosopher at all but a psychologist and self-help guru
(I'm surprised if very many people outside libertarian circles actually
have even heard of these two).  Nozick did maintain an absolute
anti-redistribution stand in Anarchy, State, and Utopia, but abandoned it
as unworkable later in his career. And Rand, while an important
popularizer and novelist, was hardly much of a systematic political
theorist.

I apologize if I digress too much from the appropriate focus of this list.
IF he feels the need, our moderator (also a libertarian who I suspect
doesn't categorically oppose all redistribution), will no doubt set me
straight.

Ilya Somin