Reading the "Public Use" clause

Douglas Laycock DLaycock at law.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 24 16:10:16 PDT 2005

I am not a libertarian (although I do think we are way over regulated),
so I do not speak for libertarians.  But there is a certain coherence to
saying we should minmize economic regulation and run the social safety
net solely through direct subsidies to the poor, financed from a simple
and broad-based tax designed to minimize incentives for taxpayers to
change their economic behavior.  The coherence is that rigging the
market to help the poor is generally an inefficient way to go about it,
and it distorts the behavior of the non-poor more than a broad-based
tax.

Douglas Laycock
University of Texas Law School
727 E. Dean Keeton St.