Reading the "Public Use" clause

DavidEBernstein at aol.com DavidEBernstein at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 12:16:57 PDT 2005

I don't know that we disagree regarding whether free markets will provide
"the poor", or all the poor, with the basic necessities of life.  But Hughes used
a similar phrase in West Coast Hotel, and I'm pretty confident that the major
effect of a minimum wage law for women only would have been to deprive many
of them of work, as Sutherland pointed out in Adkins.  More generally, if one
looks at the major controversial due process cases of the Lochner period that
overturned state legislation--Lochner itself, Coppage, Adair, Jay Burns Baking,
Meyer, Pierce, New State Ice, Buchanan v. Warley, Adkins, Wolff Packing Co.,
Louis K. Liggett Co., etc., I find it difficult to agree that overall these
cases could be said to be about redistribution to the poor, or that the poor
would have been better off if these cases came out the other way.  [The
Progressives and New Dealers believed this, largely because they believed that economic
progress for the poor would come through the labor movement, and these
decisions, as a whole, did weaken labor unions.]  But I don't see any challenge in
these cases to the idea that the government may redistribute tax money to the
poor.  Nor was Blaisdell about that; certainly looking back we can at least
appreciate,if not agree with, why the four conservative dissenters, seeing the
evils of Bolshevism and Naziism resulting from economic  and social crises in
Europe, were insistent on sticking to the letter of constitutional limitations
on government power in the 1930s.  They believed the Constitution was a bulwark
against authoritarianism (I have a great cartoon from 1938 showing the
Statute of Liberty holding up the Constitution to defend America against foreign
"isms.")  The other side believed that the government could solve the social
crisis, and avoid problems that way.  Fair enough, but  not really a debate about
redistribution.

In a message dated 6/24/2005 2:17:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,