Correction re: newspaper endorsements of Gore

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 13 11:56:33 PDT 2005

	Michael Kent Curtis pointed me to an Editor & Publisher article
on Nov. 6, 2000, which says that based on a survey of 193 newspaper
executives, "Bush earn[ed] 48% of the [newspaper editorial endorsements]
to 23% for Gore. In this case, size matters, with smaller papers going
for Bush almost 3-to-1, midsize papers 5-to-3, and larger papers 5-to-4.
The papers that backed Bush, according to the TIPP analysis, represent
58% of total national circulation while Gore's boosters represent 42%."

	A survey of 193 people, even conducted scientifically, has a
substantial purely mathematical margin of error, +/-7%, and there may be
other errors stemming from other factors (differential response rates,
flaws in the selection of respondents, and so on).  I'd therefore want
to see more analysis before concluding that newspaper endorsements (or
certainly the sympathies of the media as a whole) were indeed on balance
pro-Bush.   But this is enough to lead me to withdraw my contrary
assertion, though I think the rest of my analysis of Gore's weaknesses
as a candidate remains sound.