Filibustering presidential appointments

Bob Sheridan bobsheridan at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 21:22:13 PDT 2005

Sanford Levinson wrote:

"...

If in fact one thinks it's legitmate to filibuster judicial nominees, then why isn't it
equally legitimate to filibuster appointees to "independent agencies"? ..."

***

Nice questions, but is that really how the world works in practice?

We're talking power here, the exercise of it.

The president appoints, as an exercise in power.  He does what he thinks he can.

Filibuster?  Court challenge?  Unseat a leader? Run an opposing candidate?  Those are exercises in power, not reason, and we don't ask why.  We know why.

We ask how.

A point that I try to make, in class, is not to look for justice when the exercise is of power.  Helps understand otherwise silly cases.  Reed v. Reed, for example.  See Greenhouse's interesting new volume on Harry Blackmun's Adventures in the Great Sausage Factory.

Legitimate?

How about might makes right in politics, unless fettered by law?

rs