Offensive speech and unwilling listeners

Frank Cross crossf at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 1 10:37:36 PDT 2005

I can't say that I've decided about the use of these materials in class,
whether pornography or other offensive matters.  But I'm not convinced that
they are necessary.  One can teach criminal law without committing a crime
in class.

The materials do seem like relevant facts that law students should come to
grips with.  But time and place and context are also relevant facts.  I'm
not sure that viewing obscenity in class is the same as viewing it in
private.  So showing obscene materials in class doesn't directly illuminate
the question of whether it should be regulated for private consumption.