The Purpose of Law School

RJLipkin at aol.com RJLipkin at aol.com
Sat Jul 30 14:34:48 PDT 2005

I use the following on my  syllabi for the courses I teach in conlaw.

[T]he business of a university [is not] to turn out  finished practicing
lawyers. A law school is not a law office or a court room.  In these days of
overemphasis upon the immediately practical, it cannot be  insisted upon too often
that a university law school is part of a university.  Intellectual issues are
its concern. [A law school must promote and encourage]  the continuous
critique of all law-making and law-administered agencies. [This  falls] peculiarly
within the competence of scholars, and the promotion through  formulated reason
of wise adjustments of the multitudinous and increasingly  conflicting
interests of modern society.
--U.S. Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter
Are there  more recent statements to the same effect (or not) by members of
the current  Court or any other statements by these Justices on the purpose(s)
of a law  school education? Thanks.
Bobby

Robert Justin  Lipkin
Professor of Law