Are You Now, Or Have You Ever Been

Rick Duncan nebraskalawprof at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 08:31:00 PDT 2005

Earl Maltz <emaltz at camden.rutgers.edu> wrote:I didn't know very much about John Roberts except by reputation until he
was nominated by the Court. However, even I knew that he was a committed
conservative whose commitment to the cause was apparent on the face of his
actions and was vouched for by virtually every heavyweight in the
movement. Now I find out that he has questioned the constitutionality of,
of all things, the Endangered Species Act. Now I, for one, would shed no
tears would shed no tears for the demise of that particular statute. My
question is, why is Roberts being portrayed as the third coming of
John Marshall Harlan by all but the most liberal elements of the
Democratic party (plus one insane;y conservative Senator from Kansas). Why
is there no widespread passion in the opposition?

To post, send message to Conlawprof at lists.ucla.edu

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow either Galahad or Mordred: middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis, Grand Miracle

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered."  --The Prisoner
http://mail.yahoo.com