Where's the passion in the opposition to Roberts?

Douglas Laycock DLaycock at law.utexas.edu
Sun Jul 24 16:05:53 PDT 2005

There's no passion because it takes smoking guns to sustain a filibuster in the public eye, or to pull over moderate Republicans despite intense pressure to vote the party line.  Roberts' record doesn't offer any smoking guns.  He will probably be a disaster from a Democratic perspective, but disaster is susceptible of degrees.

His vote on the Endangered Species Act looks like a smoking gun only to people who put that Act near the top of their priority list.  As I understand the facts before him, the Act was being applied to protect a toad with no commercial use that never crosses a state line.  I believe that the commerce clause reaches essentially all commerce in an integrated economy (and that commerce includes all forms of production and exchange), but I'm not sure how it reaches that toad.  It is certainly not a radical position to question whether it really does.

Douglas Laycock
University of Texas Law School
727 E. Dean Keeton St.
Austin, TX  78705