Iraqi and American democracy

RJLipkin at aol.com RJLipkin at aol.com
Wed Jul 20 08:03:12 PDT 2005

If "democracy" is a serious  political philosophy, it's difficult to
understand what it means to say a  "democracy patterned after our values." Sure,
democracies can (and should) vary  here and there, reflecting the particulars of a
given culture, but I'm not  sure it is appropriate to call a nation "a
democracy" if it explicitly (or  implicitly) denies women equal rights, tolerates
slavery, and so forth.  "Democracy," of course, does not require reflecting all
our idiosyncratic  cultural commitments; but it surely must be committed to a
robust conception of  equal rights. In my view, it doesn't bode well for any
society to draft a  constitution that doesn't explicitly and comprehensively
protect equal rights  for everyone.

Bobby

Robert Justin  Lipkin
Professor of Law