clerk and Justice

Zietlow, Rebecca E. RZietlo at UTNet.UToledo.Edu
Wed Jul 20 06:31:23 PDT 2005

I don't know if this information is readily available, but I am curious as to whether any Supreme Court Justice might have clerked for a colleague on the Supreme Court when that colleague was serving on a lower federal court?

-----Original Message-----
From: conlawprof-bounces at lists.ucla.edu [mailto:conlawprof-bounces at lists.ucla.edu]On Behalf Of Matthew J. Franck
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:38 PM
To: conlawprof at lists.ucla.edu; lawcourts-l at usc.edu
Subject: Re: clerk and Justice

I wondered the same thing, and a little checking shows this is a first.  Of the current members of the Court, three served as clerks to justices--Rehnquist worked for Jackson, Stevens for Rutledge, and Breyer for Goldberg--but none later served with his former boss.  If Kermit Hall's Oxford Companion is correct (entry on "clerks of the justices" by Martha Swann), only one other former clerk ever joined the Court as a justice: Byron White, who clerked for Vinson.

Matt
***************************
Matthew J. Franck
Professor and Chairman