clerk and Justice

Matthew J. Franck mfranck at radford.edu
Tue Jul 19 18:38:22 PDT 2005

I wondered the same thing, and a little checking shows this is a first.  Of
the current members of the Court, three served as clerks to
justices--Rehnquist worked for Jackson, Stevens for Rutledge, and Breyer
for Goldberg--but none later served with his former boss.  If Kermit Hall's
Oxford Companion is correct (entry on "clerks of the justices" by Martha
Swann), only one other former clerk ever joined the Court as a justice:
Byron White, who clerked for Vinson.

Matt
***************************
Matthew J. Franck