O'Connor reportedly retires

Marty Lederman marty.lederman at comcast.net
Fri Jul 1 07:45:29 PDT 2005

The text of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's letter of resignation:

  ''This is to inform you of my decision to retire from my position as an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, effective upon the nomination and confirmation of my successor. It has been a great privilege indeed to have served as a member of the court for 24 terms. I will leave it with enormous respect for the integrity of the court and its role under our constitutional structure.''