Chief Justice Greg Abbott

Rick Duncan nebraskalawprof at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 08:46:10 PST 2005

Thanks, Frank. Tort reform probably won't be a huge issue for a SC nominee. Will it?

Abbott is a Bush appointee to the Texas Supreme Court so he is already on W's radar screen.

By the way, in my blog I link to a really good World Magazine interview with Abbott. Here is another link to my post.

I see Abbott as a "Thomas" type nominee. A strong conservative who has some teflon against attacks because he is also a diversity nominee. The picture of him testifying in the Senate from his wheelchair will be a powerful one.

He is a dark horse, but sometimes dark horses come in. I am picking him.

Cheers, Rick

Frank Cross <crossf at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

Well, down here in Texas, I think he has done a relatively good job as AG but stayed generally out of the spotlight.

The controversial question is this:
He was disabled because, while jogging, he was struck by a tree and received a $10 million settlement.  Some have suggested that his support for tort reform is pretty questionable in this context.  Because it was a settlement, it was not broken down, but it seems likely that most of the compensation was for noneconomic damages that tort reform is going after.