presidents, war, and *statutes*

Bob Sheridan bobsheridan at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 19 09:22:21 PST 2005

"The president has, I think, made up a law that we never passed," said
Feingold.

That was the problem that the Court in Youngstown said HST's seizure of
the steel mills during the Korean War (when troops were on the ground
fighting and dying daily) suffered from, in dumping it, with Justice
Jackson's famous concurring analysis of the tide of presidential power.

Query:  Since the Constitution refers to the suspension of habeas corpus
(by Congress, Art. I, Sec. 9, Cl. 2), and the Constitution pre-dates all
statutes enacted by Congress, necessarily, mustn't the notion of
'Constitutional habeas' mean the importation of British common law which
includes a right of habeas corpus, i.e. w/o the need of any statute?

Re: Suspension:  In California, /judges/ are empowered to both suspend
the imposition of sentence (ISS) and the execution of sentence (ESS).
Shoot for the former if you find yourself in a pickle, as in the former
you haven't been sentenced (but you will when you violate probation) and
in the latter you have, in which case the imposed sentence is executed
when you violate probation.  ISS gives you one more shot to argue
against durance vile.

Didn't the Bush Administration seek to suspend a prevailing wage law in
the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina?  Was that an executive suspension of
a legislative act?

rs
sfls