Police Power Query

Mark Graber mgraber at gvpt.umd.edu
Wed Aug 17 10:33:34 PDT 2005

Howard Gillman, THE CONSTITUTION BESIEGED.

MAG

>>> "John Parry" <parry at lclark.edu> 08/17/05 1:29 PM >>>
MessageI'm looking for good discussions of the state "police power" to
protect health, safety, and welfare.  In particular, I am looking for
treatments that have a strong historical component -- that is, what the
police power has meant at different times (and in particular, has the
conception of what a state legitimately might want to regulate morphed
or expanded in any way?).

Any suggestions?  On or off list replies are fine by me.

(and now, back to the Iraqi constitution . . . long may it reign)

John T. Parry
Visiting Professor, Lewis & Clark Law School
Associate Professor, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
503-768-6888
parry at lclark.edu