Appointments Clause, antidiscrimination law, and principal officers

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Fri Aug 12 19:03:14 PDT 2005

    To focus on a small corner of Sandy's question, would the
Appointments Clause give the President the unconditional right to select
whatever principal officers he prefers, with no interference from
Congressional legislation?  (I set aside any equal-protection
constraints, which I take it wouldn't apply as to age discrimination.)
Naturally, the Senate would also have the right to implement its own
preferences -- including antidiscrimination rules -- through its
advise-and-consent power.  But normal legislation (and its normal
judicial enforcement) would be just inapplicable to the selection of
principal officers.