Naming things and rights

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 11 16:28:36 PDT 2005

	The constitutional law answer, if this were (say) a "hostile
public accommodations environment" lawsuit against such a team (or, more
controversially, the cancellation of the Washington Redskins trademark),
is "the First Amendment."  Given that the NCAA is not a state actor, of
course, the issue isn't really a matter of legal rights.

	But in any event, I should note that a seemingly scientific
Sports Illustrated survey reported on p. 66 of the Mar. 4, 2002 issue (n
= 351 American Indians) reported the following:

	"Asked if high school and college teams should stop using Indian
nicknames, 81% of Native American respondents said no.  As for pro
sports, 83% of Native American respondents said teams should not stop
using Indian nicknames, mascots, characters and symbols.  Opinion is far
more divided on reservations, yet a majority (67%) there said the usage
by pro teams should not cease, while 32% said it should.  Asked if they
were offended by the name Redskins, 75% of Native American respondents
in SI's poll said they were not, and even on reservations, where Native
American culture and influence are perhaps felt most intensely, 62% said
they weren't offended.  Overall, 69% of Native American respondents--and
57% of those living on reservations--feel it's O.K. for the Washington
Redskins to continue using the name. . . . Only 29% of Native Americans,
and 40% living on reservations, thought [the owner of the Redskins]
should change his team's name."

	Naturally, there are possible flaws with many surveys.  But if
the survey is right, then it suggests that the question is subtly
different -- it's "by what right does one continue to use terms that
some members of the group find offensive, but that a majority of the
group finds not to be offensive, and that a majority of the group thinks
it's OK to keep using."  (It may also matter whether the term has often
been used as a pejorative; for instance, I'm not wild about the
Redskins, though I think there's a constitutional right to keep using
the name free of government restriction or government discrimination in
the administration of the trademark system, but I find the arguments
against using other Indian-related team names to be quite weak.)