Gay and lesbian vs. homosexual

Mae Kuykendall mae.kuykendall at law.msu.edu
Wed Aug 10 12:03:08 PDT 2005

Assuming Dan will stick to his vow of silence, I'm inclined to post on
this.  I am empirically inclined, but not as rigorously systematic about
it as is Dan.

Thus, I will say, empirically but not with his care to systematize, no
one I have ever met who is gay or lesbian has ever called himself or
herself "homosexual" in my presence.  I have had the privilege of
meeting many gay or lesbian people, among then "rank and file," and I
feel confident to say that the term "homosexual" occupies a linguistic
space in which it is either used as a silliness, to recall its coinage
as a description by sexologists of the nineteenth century who treated
gayness as a medical condition (the cognate term for women being
"inverts"), or it is used as an insult by someone who believes being gay
still should be seen as a "condition."  In some cases of unfamiliarity
with the cultural visibility of gayness, someone may use the word
awkwardly and cautiously, and upon gaining ease of reference to the
current culture, will abandon it.

For that reason, something attitudinal, and not mere choice among
available neutral usages, would seem to lurk in the persistent use of
the term by someone who has been in a position to learn about current
usage.

Mae Kuykendall

>>> "Volokh, Eugene" <VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu> 08/10 1:47 PM >>>
	My conjecture is that interest groups are *not* necessarily an
excellent reflection of American cultural, political, and social
communities.  That's what my original post, which pointed out that
despite the seeming preference of interest groups for
"African-American," "Latino," and "Native American," the rank and file
of the groups seemed to prefer "black," "Hispanic," and "American
Indian."  (The seeming preference was the one that I'd generally heard
from activists, not one measured by group names; groups in those areas
came from many different eras, so the names sometimes reflected
historical activist preferences, e.g., Negro and Colored, rather than
modern activist preferences.)

	Note also that even to the extent group names reflect terms
that
may be preferred by the community, their omission of other terms
doesn't
tell us much about whether the community is hostile to other names.
There may be multiple acceptable names, but a few that sound more
appealing (for instance, because they expressly stress to their target
audience their openness both to gays and lesbians), catchier, more
colloquial, and so on.

	Eugene