lessons from the pre-Marshall Court

Scott Gerber s-gerber at onu.edu
Sat Aug 6 11:01:31 PDT 2005

Steve Presser forwarded me the attached recent review of my
pre-Marshall Court collection.  (Yes, recent:  the publishing journal
is apparently backlogged.)

The nice comments from Herb Johnson aside, I share his view that we
can, and should, learn from the courts of the past.

Scott Gerber
Law College
Ohio Northern University

46 Am. J. Legal Hist. 346

American Journal of Legal History
July, 2004

Book Review

*346 SCOTT DOUGLAS GERBER, ED., SERIATIM: THE SUPREME COURT BEFORE JOHN
MARSHALL. NEW YORK: NEW YORK UNIVERSITY PRESS, 1998. XI, 362 PP. $50.00

Herbert A. Johnson
University of South Carolina School of Law

Copyright © 2004 by Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law;
Herbert
A. Johnson

While many essay collections may deserve the bibliographic graveyard to
which they are assigned, it would be a crime against scholarship if
this group of biographical sketches suffered a similar fate. The
distinguished contributors provide us with a convenient interpretative
guide to the lives, jurisprudence, and decision-making of those jurists
who pre-dated Chief Justice Marshall's tenure on the bench of the U.S.
Supreme Court. Good judicial biography is an essential building block
of constitutional history, and as such this book represents a
significant contribution to our knowledge of early Supreme Court. It
challenges us to take the Jay and Ellsworth Courts seriously, and
brings their achievements out of the shadow cast by the subsequent era
of John Marshall. Throughout the volume the authors prove that the
early Court needs to be studied on its own terms and not
retrospectively *347 by invidious comparisons to the Marshall Court.
With this publication we are one step closer to a revised understanding
of the early Court. The essays provide the historiographic and
analytical framework upon which future study might well proceed. Thus,
they complement the invaluable edition of early Court records becoming
available in the Documentary History of the Supreme Court of the United
States, edited by Maeva Marcus and her associates. Yet we are at the
"end of the beginning", and certainly not finished, with this scholarly
project. Much still remains to be accomplished These and other
biographical materials need to be used to reveal the personal dynamics
within these early Courts. With such a small group engaged in such
complex business, interrelationships are formative of an institutional
"personality".
The essays provide readers with fascinating insights into these and
other matters. James Stoner's essay suggests that a difference in
judicial practice distinguished the early Courts from these of the
Marshall era (p. 332). Sandra Van Burkleo, Willis Whichard, and Bill
Casto touch upon the close political and personal relationships that
existed between the Supreme Court justices and Federalist officials in
the two other branches of government (pp. 29, 210, 292). This made for
harmonious judicial support for the Washington and Adams
administrations (see Gerber's comments on William Cushing and James
Iredell, and Stephen Preseer's assessment of Samuel Chase, pp. 111,
264). Interestingly, the authors do not comment upon the relative lack
of collegiality in the Jay Court compared to the close personal and
professional ties that developed among Chief Justice Marshall and his
associate justices.
We find a recurrent theme that the early justices exhibited great
caution and judicial restraint, with the possible exception of Samuel
Chase (Wythe Holt on John Blair, Stephen Presser on Chase, pp. 184,
267-68). They seemed aware of the delicate balance upon which
Federalist political control depended, but nevertheless their grand
jury charges could be inflammatory, as Justice Chase learned to his
discomfort in 1803 (Stoner's comment about Justice Washington's
"tenderness of giving offense, ..." is significant, p 323). There is a
need to look closely at the justices' priorities, to determine whether
loyalty to the administrations of Washington and Adams may have
overwhelmed this sense of restraint and decorum when the political
stakes became higher after 1794.
There is a need to accept the challenge of examining the institutional
history of the early Supreme Court. For example, James Haw and some
other authors touch upon the small case load as a limiting factor on
the work of the Court Writing on John Rutledge, Haw notes that no cases
were decided in South Carolina's federal Circuit Court during
Rutledge's 1790-91 tenure. Daniel Degnan assessing Justice William
Paterson wisely comments that great cases would take time to
develop--time that was not available in the first decade of the Court's
existence (pp. 28, 81, 106, 241). Scott Gerber points out that Justice
Cushing's opinion writing style was direct and to the point (pp. 107,
112), today we would say he "went for the jugular" every time! Opinion
writing doubtless varies over the course of time, and some of Cushing's
work on the Massachusetts colonial courts suggest that this was not
only his style, but an approach that he shared with his Superior Court
associates. Did a more expansive and more analytical style prevail in
Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia during the colonial and
Confederation periods? Certainly Justice Warren from Pennsylvania and
Chase from Maryland provided sharp contrasts in writing style to that
of Cushing (see the discussion of Wilson by Mark D. Hall, and Chase by
Presser, pp. 139, 263-64). We really need to look at modes of opinion
writing, for they may tell us much *348 about thought patterns and
decision-making.
Clearly, the purpose of this essay collection--to focus attention upon
the Jay-Ellsworth Courts, and to study them in their own right--has
been admirably achieved. Yet much more has been done. The authors have
provided all students of the Supreme Court with an expanded and
revitalized research agenda, and their perceptive insight challenge
scholars to continue work on Jay-Ellsworth era. For this they deserve
our gratitude and sincere congratulations.
END OF DOCUMENT

Scott Gerber
Law College
Ohio Northern University