A Stealth O'Connor or Souter After All?

Marty Lederman marty.lederman at comcast.net
Fri Aug 5 07:21:35 PDT 2005

Me, I'd opt for effective over blustery any day of the week -- no matter what my politcal or jurisprudential goals might be.

In any event, your suggestion was that JR might turn out to be another SOC or DS.  My response was intended merely to say:  Not likely.  (I should add, however, that I am given some pause -- and a touch of encouragement -- not so much by Roberts's substantive work in cases such as Romer and Tahoe-Sierra, but by his ability to work so effectively with folks such as Walter Smith and Richard Lazarus -- and by their testimonies on his behalf.)

Note:  There's a world of difference between O'Connor and Souter, too (see, e.g., Atwater ;-) ), but a much wider, and more important, gulf, to Rehnquist.  Sure he voted with the "liberal" side in cases such as Dickerson, Hibbs and Locke; but, call me cynical, I think that in each of those instances it was merely tactical, in order to control the writing "assignment."  Spot quiz:  Are there any cases in which Rehnquist's was the decisive vote for what we might call the liberal position?  (I imagine there are a couple -- but none comes immediately to mind.)