Supreme Court Preview - New! Online Registration

Institute of Bill of Rights Law ibrl at wm.edu
Wed Sep 1 09:12:56 PDT 2004

The Institute of Bill of Rights Law, College of William & Mary School of
Law is pleased to invite you to attend the 17th annual Supreme Court
Preview conference at which leading legal scholars, lawyers, and Supreme
Court journalists will discuss and analyze the Court's upcoming term.  The
dates of the conference are October 22 & 23, 2004.

On Friday, from 3-5 p.m., a special briefing on human rights and national
security law will be presented by Professor Linda A. Malone and General
Charles Dunlap, Jr., co-directors of the newly established program in human
rights and national security law at Marshall-Wythe Law School.

The conference will begin on Friday night with a moot court argument of one
of the Court's most important pending cases, Roper v Simmons. In this case,
the Court will rule on the constitutionality of the death penalty for those
defendants under the age of 18 at the time of their crime. In 2003, the
Missouri Supreme Court determined that juvenile executions violated the
Eighth Amendment's prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment under
the "evolving standards of decency" test. Two seasoned Supreme Court
advocates will participate in the moot court. William Hurd, former
Solicitor of Virginia, will represent the state of Missouri. John Blume of
Cornell University will represent Christopher Simmons, who was 17 when he
was arrested for the murder of Shirley Crook. We have assembled our own
"Court" of nine distinguished legal scholars and journalists to hear the
argument and render a decision.

Following the moot court argument, we will examine legal developments under
George W. Bush, including administration efforts to redefine presidential
power as part of the War on Terror, the president's support of a
constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, Bush appointments to the
federal judiciary, and the role of the Supreme Court in 2004 election
politics. On Saturday, a series of panels will discuss the leading cases on
the Court's docket for the 2004 term. These cases include constitutional
challenges to the racial segregation of prisoners, to restrictions on the
out-of-state purchase of wine, to medical marijuana legislation, and to a
law mandating cattle producers to fund an advertising campaign they do not
support. We will also consider whether the Supreme Court should look to
laws and court decisions from foreign countries.

For more Information go to : http://www.wm.edu/law/ibrl/supremecourt.shtml
To Register go to: http://www.regonline.com/Checkin.asp?EventId=15228