The End of the Electoral College?

Scarberry, Mark Mark.Scarberry at pepperdine.edu
Fri Oct 15 12:55:41 PDT 2004

One problem is that there is no way, short of constitutional amendment, to
require all states to move to the Maine system. I think the goal should be
to end the partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts. Congress has
the power to end it, under Art. I, sec. 4, cl. 1. That very few
congressional districts are unsafe for incumbents is, I think, a much more
serious flaw in our democracy than the electoral college.

For partisan gerrymandering to be ended, one party would probably need to
believe it would benefit substantially, and that party would probably need
to have a House majority and the ability to cut off debate in the Senate
with little help from the other party's senators.

Mark S. Scarberry

Pepperdine University School of Law