FW: Mass. marriage law and PI clause

Bryan Wildenthal bryanw at tjsl.edu
Sun May 23 18:23:11 PDT 2004

I am a bit surprised that there has not been a single response to the April 8 posting of mine copied below. The 1913 Mass. state law referred to has gotten considerably increased media attention in recent weeks, as Gov. Mitt Romney threatens to use it to block or invalidate same-sex marriages of non-Mass. couples, since the legalization of same-sex marriage in Mass. on May 17.

Supplementing my thoughts laid out below, I would note that one might raise an issue whether the right to marry (for out of state visitors, and perhaps specifically for out of state gay couples) is "fundamental" for purposes of the Article PI Clause. "Marriage" generally has of course been deemed a "fundamental" right, and the Mass. SJC has of course extended that reasoning to same-sex marriages. It thus seems almost certain that the Mass. SJC will strike down this Mass. law under the Mass. Constitution. But I still think it also should be found to violate the federal Art IV PI Clause as well.

Anyone agree, or disagree?

Bryan Wildenthal
Thomas Jefferson School of Law