authority of international tribunals

Francisco Martin ricenter at igc.org
Wed May 19 11:07:34 PDT 2004

Just to clear up a matter . . . .  The context of the posting below by Prof. Sellers (which originally appeared on the ASIL listserv) was made in response to my claim (I am the "Francisco" mentioned below) that the ICTY's decisions in the Mucic and Naletilic and Martinovic Cases established that common article 3 of the GCs applied also to international conflicts. (For those curious, the discussion originally surrounded the issue of whether CIA and private military contractors could be charged with common article 3 violations against non-Iraqi and non-Afghani detainees under the War Crimes Act of 1996.  They probably can.)

It appears that Prof. Sellers and Prof. Kammerhofer are overstating my position.  I recognize that, strictly and formally speaking, international courts can only  bind parties to cases and interpret law -- not make law.  This is consistent with the ICJ statute regarding judicial opinions as a subsidiary means for determining law.  However, decisions from international tribunals represent substantial authority for interpreting treaties in future cases between different parties. International courts cite precedent all the time for interpretive purposes.

Is this so different from how the courts operate in the U.S. in regard to citing precedent?  I don't think so.  For example, the Supreme Court is not bound by its own precedents, but it cites them all the time as interpretive authorities and often overrules its previous holdings.  After all, there is no stare decisis doctrine in the Constitution.

Anyway, I just wanted to keep the record clear.

Francisco Forrest Martin