"Meaning of" removing "under God"

Conkle, Daniel O. conkle at indiana.edu
Wed Mar 31 07:34:22 PST 2004

Thanks to Paul for his gracious comment, but I think it actually was
Mark who cited the religious language in the Declaration of
Independence.  What I noted was Jefferson's reliance on God in
justifying his Virginia Bill for Religious Liberty; and I earlier
suggested that nonsectarian and symbolic references to God have a long
history and tradition in American governmental practice.  I do think
that my points and Mark's, coupled with Tom Berg's helpful arguments on
the religionlaw list, indicate that this issue may be more complex --
certainly as a historical matter -- than some might think.

Paul's points help highlight that complexity for those who share Mark's
sentiments, and Mark's arguments, as well as my points and Tom's, might
add some complexity for those inclined to agree with Paul.
Dan Conkle
Daniel O. Conkle
Professor of Law
Indiana University School of Law